Thursday, July 22, 2004

As my days here at GSW are coming to an end, I am saddened. I am sad that I won't get to hang out as much as I can here. People aren't as readily accessible to hanging out at home. Last night, we just took my CD player out on Clewell Patio and played cards and listened to Rooney and 13 going on 30 soundtrack and Nickel Creek. It was awesome. I love hanging out. I'm also sad that I won't be meeting so many way cool new people. I'll miss that. I'll miss these people! It's kinda depressing. Today was our last Area 2 class. We had our last discussion about schools and what we'll miss and our system of distributing money that we came up with before. Then we took some group pictures. It was depressing. I liked that class a lot. We had some good discussions.

Today was our last 4th period "Philosophy of Science" class. We talked about conversation patterns and about how the general male way of talking is very athoritative and it is competetive and tries to establish a hierarchy while the female way is to relate to personal experiences and tries to establish community. After we pointed this out and had discussions, we kept finding examples. I was talking about my personal experience and Christian interrupted me to say something. It was classic. I couldn't get my point across, though, because Patrick started jumping up and down because he found it hilarious.

Today also was the Science and Mathematics Academic Fair. Our mirror group did a poster. Some people were genuinely curious, some were just too confused to care, and some thought our "baffling question" was totally obvious. But it was fun. We were going to play Christina Aguilera's song "Reflections" from the Mulan soundtrack in the background. Get it? Mirrors... Reflection... right. haha. Some other groups did shoelaces and some did bubbles (Megan's group) and some math kids did some cool stuff with "Six Degrees of Separation" and the Rubik's cube (they were showing a clip of a guy completing it in 18 seconds) and the physics of Billiards. It was pretty cool. I saw the guy solve the Rubik's cube while I was sitting right there. He told me that they provide new Rubik's cubes at competitions that are already greased up, for optimal speed. It was awesome. The knot poster was cool, because two of the kids that got assigned knots (randomly) were Eagle Scouts. There were tons of cool knots. Then I started talking to those guys about how I wish I could have been a Boy Scout because I want to burn stuff. Steele said that there was a coed thing that Boy Scouts does called "Ventures" for ages 14 to 20. I wish. I think I've already blogged about the injustices of Girl Scouts, so I'll spare you. Just check the archives. So that was a fun time. We took a cool picture of our group. Scott, Meredith, and I stood together and Meredith and I held a mirror in between us. They took the picture so you could see Eddie's reflection through the mirror. It rocked. Way to integrate the mirrors in to the group picture. Because they are a part of our group. Is it bad that I broke 2 mirrors through the course of this project? Maybe. But I sure hope not.

Now I have to go to another Agassiz project (this time it's an "Optional" Seminar- it's not optional for science kids). Then I think there's an orchestra concert and then we get to hang out for a while. I hope. So Adios, amigos!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HEY ITS JOHN V,
I THINK YOU WOULD REALLY LIKE Ventures! I KNOW A BUNCH OF THEM, ITS KIND OF LIKE A COED VERSION OF BOY SCOUTS. ONLY I THINK THEY DO ALOT MORE CAMPING AND TRIP WISE. IM SORRY YOU WILL MISS THE COOL PEOPLE THERE, BUT THERE ARE COOL PEOPLE HERE IN MT AIRY. NOT ALOT BUT A FEW! YOU JUST HAVE TO FIND THEM.
GOOD LUCK AND TAKE CARE
GET IN TOUCH WITH ME WHEN YOU GET A CHANCE