Tuesday, September 21, 2004

So hello to all new readers of my blog. I seem to think there might be many of you thanks to the editorial in our good old Mt. Airy News Paper (from Monday). I might not be on the list of links, but, I mean, this is a pretty good blog. It's been going for a fairly long time. I would just like to say that this is probably one of the dull ones and my grandparents even read it. There might be some juicy stuff, but lately it's just been boring accounts of what I do. Which brings me to my next point (I think I said it over the summer)- my blog has become too journal-y. I just tell you about what I do and stuff, but I want to go back to writing about specific things that interest me.

For Example...

I remember my first interactions with "pop" music and it's addictive nature. I heard "Livin la Vida Loca" by Ricky Martin on VH1 I think. I was mezmerized. I couldn't get enough of it! I wanted to listen to it every chance I got. I was addicted. And then, it happened. I heard it one to many times. Then it became old and gross and overplayed and I just wanted to take a musical shower, you know... get some good refreshing songs out there for once. But then it happened again- in the form of Christina Aguilera's "Genie in a Bottle". Same story. I couldn't help myself. "Pop" music has a way of attatching to something in your brain... and it gives an awesome feeling, but then the grip seems to choke this receptor. It wears away and soon the gruesome ugliness of pop culture sets in. I become disenchanted by it's spell. Maybe this is why I could never be a diehard fan of a pop artist. By the time I actually got all of their stuff and went to all of their concerts, the receptor would have worn away and I would be left with a Britney Spears hangover (non-alcoholic for you newbies). It is terrible. I don't think I've been sucked in as often lately, I lean more towards non-pop music, so I can listen to it all I want. Soundtracks are good, because they might only have one popular song so you can just skip it and listen to all the other good songs. Also, getting a CD by a pop artist for just one song isn't always a good purchase. I get CD's of bands that sound interesting, and then all of their songs are good. Good musicians have a lot of good songs. Right now, tragically, my Relient K receptor has worn out just a little bit. I have memorized all of their songs, because I listened to them all of the time when I first got the CD's. Now I don't like to listen to them all the time. Just occasionally. And sometimes, I have to cancel out my pop intake with some Simon and Garfunkel or just plain Paul Simon. I mean, that's some good stuff right there.

Ok. I like that much better. Look forward to blogs like that, guys. Hey, leave comments, and don't be scared. Unless I don't know who you are, in which case you should sign it so I don't get creeped out. Please don't creep me out. Thanks. Right. I'm gonna go watch Oprah. Woot!

2 comments:

MarkW said...

You're on the list, but no one had asked for it last I knew. I think the "explain why" stopped most people. Still some people have been doing google searches since I've gotten a couple hits that way.

If you really want to know how many people are reading the blog, and where they're coming from you might get a site tracker. sitemeter.com and extremetracking.com both work well with blogger.

Emma Refvem said...

Hey, thanks. I'm pumped that I'm on the list... I mean when Julia first told me about the article she made it sound really negative, but only she thought that. I feel like a veteran or something. Rock, rock on. Oh yeah, and I don't know a (useful) thing about HTML. I don't know how to get that extreme tracker thing on there. But I will hopefully figure it out.