Monday, June 21, 2004

So this is an unusual post, mainly because I am standing up while typing it. I've never done that before! Well yesterday I watched Psycho then Vertigo and then I hung out and then I watched "My So Called Life" in Katherine (a TAC) 's room. It is good. It comes on Noggin, so when I come home I'll watch it all the time. Well I've been doing some thinking. Here it goes. I find our "science" program at west far inferior to east's. It frustrates me. Why can't we just do science? I want to do experiments and learn about quantum physics like Alex. I want to learn fun stuff like that. Instead I get: biomedical ethics- and I don't want to be a doctor; philosophy of science- which is fine for a little while, but after a while I want to stop asking "What does it mean to do science" and actually do science; computer modeling- hello!?! I'm not interested in that at all. I just wish we could have had some choice in all of this. If given a choice, I would have gone to East to learn what they're learning. Maybe it will be more beneficial to me to have learned this stuff, but I would like it a whole lot more if it was what I signed up for. I signed up to do Natural Science. At East, they do that. At West, it's just questioning what we know. I like the classes, but I have a bad case of jealousy. Then I start thinking: What's the point in being mad, because I can't change anything now. I shouldn't be so jealous. There really is no changing it. I do like the people and the seminars here, I just hate that there is a difference between East and West and that we didn't have any choice. I wanted to go to East also because it was far away, which can be good and bad in ways. Basically, I just need to get over myself and keep reminding myself that there is always college and then I can take what I want. I like the Area 2 and 3 classes, because they were ambiguous as to their meaning in the Handbook. I thought Natural science was pretty striaghtforward, but I guess not. I am glad that I'm here, though. We are doing some good stuff in our Philosophy of Science class, though. We are getting to know a simple object really well. Usually in science classes, you get a glimpse of everything in science and then you can go more specific if you want. We are going to study and really know our simple objects. Mine is mirrors. They are interesting, if you think about it. So basically I'm just jealous of Alex, but I really don't want to be. Why be jealous? What is the point? I guess that's my problem. Well, one thing is for sure- GSW will teach me to keep questioning things. There are so many unresolved questions and theoretical discussions around here. I guess I just need to get used to it. So thanks for listening. Or just suffering through reading all this. It might not be that interesting, but what the hey. Only like 3 people read this anyways. Peace out, y'all!

No comments: