Saturday, November 13, 2004

Last night was a funny one, let me tell you. I went out on the town by myself, mainly because I didn't want to go to the football game in the rain and Kate didn't want to be social with me.

So I went to the Good Life because Cleve and Jerry recommended the guitar player that was supposed to be playing. Turns out that guy got sick or something, but the guy that filled in was ok, I guess. There was one time when he was recording himself and then playing it back and recording more and playing it back while the other stuff was playing... maybe it's called sampling or something. Jerry told me about how Howie Day did that at his show at Ziggy's. The show that I wish I could have attended. So anyways, at the show, that Brett Hunter guy came up to me. Brett Hunter is that film maker guy who is local but has a fake british accent, maybe you know him, he was in the newspaper one time. He came up and sat down next to me and said "Do I know you from somewhere? Are you local?" Talk about the oldest pick up line in the book. I immediately recognized his cheeziness and didn't let myself be fooled. He said something about how he dared this guy to drink some Texas Pete but the guy would only do it if Brett got me to step outside with him. I kinda didn't know how to refuse, and I was in the mood for adventure, and the guitar player guy wasn't that great, so I went outside. I was getting a little creeped out because he was like "I just have to go get the Texas Pete in my office down the street" and I was just picturing all those lifetime movies or oprah episodes where the girl was gullible enough to follow the guy and end up in a situation that would grant her appearance on such shows, but I felt pretty confident that I could take him if he tried to beat me up or anything because I was considerably taller than he was. So when he actually came out with the Texas Pete, I was relieved. Mostly because I kinda thought it was all a hoax. Haha. But then I just thought it was a funny experience because he kept trying to make conversation when we were back at the coffee shop, but I was kinda paying attention to the guitar player. I also thought it was funny because I think that if that whole thing had happened to me like 2 years ago I would be freaked out and probably think he really liked me and I should like anyone who hits on me or something, but I was laughing in the back of my mind the whole time because I could see some girl actually responding to his cheeziness. It was just funny.

Then I went to Blockbuster to rent Almost Famous because I've never seen it. As soon as I walked in the door, Matt Graunke came up to me and pulled me aside and asked if I had any sharp objects with which to pop a balloon. I got my keys out and popped it in his earpiece, I think he was trying to make the girl with the other earpiece deaf or something. Then Bryan Belcher came up and hit him on the head with a DVD case and they started talking about Halo 2. Even though they didn't say it, I knew it was what they were talking about. I don't even play video games except mario kart but even I know that Halo 2 is the biggest thing to come out recently. I guess that shows how big it is. Anyways. And then Jimmy Hawks came up to our little gathering. It was like a mini, early-years-of-high-school reunion for me. It was fun times.

Then I went home and watched Almost Famous and it was good.

And that was my night.

No comments: