Tuesday, November 30, 2004

I am so non-confrontational. I like to sometimes entertain the thought that I am confrontational, but I always know that I'm just fooling myself. I'll find myself thinking: "next time I talk to _____, I'm going to tell them exactly how I feel, I don't care how mad they get." But then I never have the guts to follow through. Story of my life. Like today, for example, at the bank. I was in the lane where you get to send the shuttle thing or whatever through the tube, and there was a big van in the other lane so I couldn't see the girl. And I think there was only one girl working. So I sent over a check that I wanted to deposit in my checking account, planning to tell her that I wanted to do so. But she wasn't paying attention and didn't talk to me, so she just cashed it without asking. I was frustrated, but I didn't really want to be a bother so I just drove off. I mean, I guess I needed the cash anyways. See, that's what I mean. I can always find reasons why I'm in the wrong, and I have an extreme phobia of being a difficult customer. Because what makes the person on the other side any worse than me? She's just a person, doing her job. It's not my job to make them have a bad day. The thing is, I build up my argument in my brain and I have really good arguments for my side. I just hate actually saying them. It makes me feel bad. Which is why I feel meaner than I actually appear most of the time. Weird.

I have to turn in my Duke and Stanford Essays. Tomorrow. And the Robertson Scholarship. Tomorrow. And I have to write a total of 800 words in essays for that one, including a description of activities I've participated in. Aaaah!

2 comments:

Sarah Gitt said...

Not to play devil's advocate or anything, but did you put a deposit slip with the check? Because if not, then they're pretty much gonna assume that you want to cash it. I didn't think that they could (easily) deposit checks w/o a deposit slip, but maybe I'm wrong. Cheers!

Emma Refvem said...

that's what i mean- i was going to tell her that i didn't have a slip so i put my account number on a card in there and i was going to explain the situation, but i couldn't. and then i realized that i would be in the wrong if i tried to correct her, because i knew she would assume that. that is most of the reason why i drove away. it was more of a hassle than a confrontation.