Monday, October 04, 2004

So. I am ordering The Flaming Lips CD (Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots) off of amazon, and I needed another CD to make it free shipping. So I looked at some of their suggestions, and I saw Postal Service and Death Cab for Cutie and The Shins. Sarah G. told me about Postal Service like last year or the year before, and I thought they sounded cool but I didn't follow through. Now that I've kinda heard other people talk about it, I feel like a poser. I don't want to look like someone who just gets CDs so she'll look cool. I think I'm going to end up getting Postal Service, but then I can't choose if I want that or Death Cab because I might have enough electronic music with my Flaming Lips CD. So it is a dilemma. Am I a poser? Now that I write it all down I realized that I am not really a poser, and who cares if I am anyway? I just want to listen to good music. I think that is where I differ from my thoughts sometimes. Some people just get CDs and listen to music because they want to be a part of a certain crowd who listens to that kind of music. But the people who are in that crowd have already heard of the artists from somewhere else and are cool. I don't want to be a person who looks like she's trying to be cool. I really just like the music. So I think I don't fall in the "poser" category. But really, can any of us be posers? Yeah, I think some people are. But hopefully I am not. I listen to many different genres of music, depending on my mood. So I just succesfully talked myself out of my poser status.

I think I took insecurity pills or something last night. I've been feeling really insecure. Why? Why must I do it to myself? Why do I question my music preferences? Why do I feel like I'm always complaining? (because I am) Why do I feel like none of my jokes or attempts to be funny work out and I end up looking like a loser who can't make a joke? Why do I feel akward standing up in front of YL because I have to when I relished the time up there back when I didn't have to? Why do I ask these insignificant questions that will only add to my insecurities because I am identifying the ways in which I am insecure?

Whoa. I need to calm down. I'm stressed probably because I have a calculus test tomorrow and a biology test on thursday. I'm going to study for bio tonight and hopefully I know the calculus. I was confused on how she graded parts of my last test, which has some of the material we will be testing tomorrow, so that's not good. She needs to improve her grading handwriting.

This post is an example of why I need to listen to calm music- like the Flaming Lips. I am too hyper. But I do have my Polyphonic Spree CD, so that can put me in a nice, calm, hippie mood. Good. There we go. Now I'm going to go study for biology.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think it may be hard to ever not be a 'poser' with music. all of my favorite artists i have stumbled upon hearing other people talk about it, hearing it in a theme song of a tv show, or reading someone's blog. i don't think it is necessarily your job to 'discover' up and coming artists. i mean, how are you supposed to do that? as much as i would like to believe it, i don't really see MA, NC at the music headquarters of the world. :) music posing is completely acceptable. because you are not really being a poser if you like the music. i am with you on the whole "only listening to fit in with a certain crowd" type thing. i have never really understood that anyway. music is so personal, how can anyone change their opinions simply to be accepted by a certain group. anyway, i just thought i would let you know that i, too, am a music poser. oh well. except sometimes you can find an artist all your own by checking amazon.com's suggestions for you. i got one to check out will hoge, and i love his music! very good - - i think you may like him. he's pretty liberal. maybe you and he can fight Camp Conservative at your house! :)
see you in a few days!
love,
shmims.

Mikal said...

tis a good CD, track 10 is my favorite