Sunday, January 09, 2005

The swim team is hardcore. That's all there is to it. We swam in 59 degree water. And then we came back the next day- a Saturday- and swam in 69 degree water. That's crazy.

While everyone was fearing hypothermia and other sicknesses, my mom was telling us we had to do it and I was trying to be really upbeat and positive. I kept saying things like "think of all the stories we can tell!" and "how hardcore are we?!!" We had to convince everyone that they wouldn't die. Even though some people didn't believe us.

So we were supposed to do 10 laps, but some people just did like two and then hyperventilated/freaked out so mom let them get out and start drylands. I did all 10. Mostly backstroke, so I wouldn't have to put my face in the water. I am so freaking sore from drylands. We did the pushup-squat-jump thing like way back when and some crunches and then we powerwalked 20 laps around the pool. I was a crazy walker. I kept saying things like "it's all in the hips!" as I was passing everybody like four times. Now my feet hurt because I didn't have shoes on. More than that, my muscles hurt from all the drylands. My quads and abs are killing me, and the only way to make it better is to do more. So I'll randomly do squats to make myself feel better.

So, yeah. I'm proud of the swimmers. Well, at least some of them. Others of them were just being crazy. I kept trying to tell them it's all mental, but they wouldn't hear anything of it. They can go on thinking that my mom is insane, but seriously. As I said in practice, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger." Haha. I was full of clichès yesterday.

No comments: