Saturday, December 04, 2004

no, you will not pull down my pants.

Babysitting is a lot of fun, when it's not total heck. Like when the parents are cool, I feel more relaxed when babysitting their kids. I don't get all uptight or anything, because the parents are so laid back when I see them interact with the kids.

On Thursday, I babysat for the Campbells for like three hours, and it wasn't that bad. The hardest part was getting the kids to go to sleep. When they said they wanted their mommy, I just told them that she would be home after they went to sleep. When that wasn't satisfactory, I let them watch me write a note to their mom that said something like "please go into Will, Elizabeth and Jack's room when you come home. love- will elizabeth and jack." That seemed to calm them down a little bit. There was one point when I was in one room reading a book to Jack and Elizabeth was sobbing in her room, so I went over there to comfort her after I was done reading the book. When I got Elizabeth settled, Jack started crying again. It is impossible to try and reason with these kids. When I told Jack that his mom was coming home, all he would say was "NO SHE WILL NOT" and I would reply "I can assure you, she will. Why wouldn't she?" to which he would respond: "NO SHE WILL NOT!" So when I would get frustrated and tell him "whether or not your mom is coming home, you need to go to sleep. please go to sleep." his reply: "NO I WILL NOT." So I finally just told him that if he wasn't going to sleep, he at least needed to silently lie there with his eyes open. Other funny moments of the night occurred when I attempted to serve them dinner. Oh, man. I cooked up some EasyMac and microwaved some hotdogs, but by the time they sat down to eat, Jack and Elizabeth decided they didn't want any of it. I think they had a few bites, but it was hardly a meal. So I ended up eating most of the leftovers, since I didn't want to throw away all that food. It made my stomach hurt a little bit. Oh yeah, and quizzing Will on spelling was fun, because he couldn't spell "precipitation." So I would randomly, throughout the night, just say "Spell precipitation!" It was fun.

Last night, I showed up at like 5:30 because they were going down to Charlotte for Mrs. Campbell's birthday. The kids were happy to see me- which made me happy because at least I knew they didn't hate me or anything. Then a limo showed up to take the parents away, much to the surprise of everyone except Mr. Campbell. The kids wanted to take a ride around the block, and they wanted me to come too, so we drove around the block. It was funny. The pizza showed up when we came back, so we rushed inside as Mr. and Mrs. Campbell were whisked away to a night on the town. During dinner, the kids started getting resentful. They tried calling the parents to make them come back. They expressed feelings of jealousy that they weren't invited on this trip, and also feelings of depression that their parents were gone for two nights in a row with the same babysitter. Elizabeth assured me that their anger wasn't because of the babysitter in question, but the mere fact that the parents weren't there. I told her that I understood, and that I, too, hate it when my parents leave for two days in a row. Then they snapped out of their depression and started getting wild. Elizabeth poured garlic sauce in the pizza box, and Will started spraying "Oust" everywhere (they pronounced it "oste," like northerners or something). Then Elizabeth decided to pour water on top of the garlic sauce in the pizza box, and the garlic water started dripping on the floor. I quickly removed the pizza from the box before it could become saturated with this stinky water, and moved it into the empty breadsticks box. Then I carried the dripping pizza box into the trashcan and wiped up the mess, all while the kids were running around with their pizza and breadsticks in hand. The rest of the night was fun, because I gave them an agenda and they have really good memories. One funny part was when they discovered that my pants came down easily, and I had to walk around holding up my pants, for fear that they would tear them down. At one point, they were holding on to my legs and I was dragging three little kids around on the floor. I finally got them to stop by telling them I would give them a bad report if they didn't stop. That worked like a charm. They had some trouble actually getting to sleep, because they were watching Power Rangers. I think they finally closed their eyes for good like 2 hours later than they were supposed to- but who cares, because it's the weekend.

After they went to sleep, I watched "Casa de los Babys," because I was in the mood for an indie film. It was good, but a little slow. Perhaps it seemed slow because I was tired and the TV was really small. But that doesn't make any sense. But it was still good. I like indie movies. I can't wait to see Garden State when it comes out on Dec. 28, because I really wanted to see it but never got the chance. Right. So anyways, the parents told me they would probably be home at midnight, and I didn't want to be asleep when they got home, so I tried to stay awake. I also tried to read Lord of the Flies, but I wasn't really getting anywhere with that. So I devised a plan that would make me look responsible. I would lie on the couch and with the book in my hand, with my eyes closed. That way it would look like I was just dozing off while reading, instead of conking out while watching TV. It was all obsolete anyways, because the dog woke me up right before the parents walked in at 1:30. But because they were so late and also in a good mood, I got mucho dinero. Yay Christmas shopping funds!

Wow. Long blog. Fun times.

I'm a VIP at Ziggy's tonight, holla! I don't even really know what that means, but it's really cool. I mean, it's just Jerry, but I guess that's how the VIP status works out- you know the guy before you know his music or something like that. Maybe all VIPs are like: "oh, it's just my friend so-and-so." Whatever, I'm pumped. And I'm also pumped because I'm going to Chili's with the girls tonight. I love my girls and I love Chili's. Woot!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

emma, i babysit for bratty kids too. that also molest me. im thinking BABYSITTERS CLUB!!!
aps

Emma Refvem said...

totally! i love that show/those movies.

Emma Refvem said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.