Sunday, July 20, 2003

Hello! I just came up here to post to take a break from listening to my sisters' game of scrabble. "Is 'quoz' a word?" can get old sometimes. Anyways. I was going to post on how delightfully random The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy is but Grannie told me to post about something nice, like what I did today. So here it is.

We went to the beach, where I stuck my foot in the North Sea. (My grandpa said to stick my foot in the north sea so I could tell people that while I was in England I sat around with my poppa watching golf all day and stuck my foot in the north sea). Jill and Charlotte decided to swim, while I laid out on the beach fully clothed, getting rather hot. It was life boat day down at the shore, which is where Her Majesty's Coastguard's demonstrated their life-saving abilities. It was quite funny, because the first thing I saw of it was a lot of teen agers dressed in these silly outfits hanging off of a boat that had a couple middle-aged people in silly outfits. Then somebody on a surfboard (obviously a part of their team) set off a flare. You would think that they would speed away to "save" this person, but no. They waited until the flare was completely done with to go save the person. It was really funny. Then, as we were leaving the beach, they were taking the kids out on the boat and dropping them off the back of the boat so they too could be "saved". Up by the road, Jill, Charlotte, and I saw the coastguard doing some more demonstrations. They were giving instructions on how to answer the questions effectively when calling "999", the equivalent of "911".

Next, Jill, Charlotte, and I went putt-putt golfing. It was really fun. I was trying to play while holding a beach towel, a pair of binoculars, my copy of The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy, the scorecard, and a mini pencil. An almost impossible feat, but I managed to beat Charlotte. After our game, we played on the see saw in a park on our way home. See saw's are the best piece of playground equipment besides the swing. It is not as fun if you're the heavier one, though. Ah, to be young again.

When we got home, and after lunch, we went raspberry and strawberry picking. We were picking and eating, and eating some more. The trick is to eat before you pay. The good strawberries were few and far between, but the good ones were soooooooo good. The raspberries were easier to pick because you don't have to bend down as much. I love eating fresh picked fruit.

So that was my day. We had dinner, where Grannie and her cousin Sally (my 1st cousin twice removed or something) discussed their childhoods. You know, how they had to hike 40 miles to and from school everyday, naked in the snow, uphill both ways. And we started having discussions on how to properly pronounce words (raspberries as composed to rosbrys). Now I am going to watch a program on Elephants. I can hear their cries from the TV right now. Fun times!!!

No comments: