Saturday, December 21, 2019

Refverie - 2019 Books

 My favorite books of 2019!! This was hard because I read a lot of good books this year, but not a lot of them stood out. I chose these because they affected me more deeply than the others, I think.⁣ ⁣ I listened to An American Marriage on audiobook which was really interesting. There were two different narrators and they would change their voice based on the ages of the characters. This story is heavy and deep and gritty and very well told.⁣ ⁣ Red, White & Royal Blue is a modern romance novel and it was SO FUN. So uplifting, so well-written, so witty... I wish I could read it again for the first time.⁣ ⁣ With the Fire on High was another audiobook, which I listened to simply because Elizabeth Acevedo is such a good narrator. Emoni came alive and I loved watching her learn and grow. ⁣ ⁣ The Overstory was such an interesting structure and it made me start thinking like a tree and I don’t know how to say it other than that.⁣ ⁣ I listened to Evicted for my Intro yo Qualitative Research class this spring. Such an amazing feat of ethnography. The issue of eviction is so much more serious than I’d known, and Desmond does a great job with the stories he tells here.⁣ ⁣ Finally, another nonfiction! This one was really important for me to funnel my political anxieties into productive thoughts and conversations. It was like listening to a very long podcast series 😂⁣ ⁣ Thanks for joining me! Shoutout to Hoopla, the library app with audiobooks you don’t have to wait for (!), and Libby, the library app for books you do have to wait for. I think I’ve transitioned to be an ereader... what has this world come to.




No comments: