Saturday, December 14, 2019

Refverie - The Power of a Lamp

 The living room is a place I always forget to hang out in unless we have people over. I tend to spend my time in our guest room (which is really my craft room) or the basement watching TV. I spent some time thinking about why I never sat in here and realized it was because I didn’t like the overhead lighting. I had some block in my head and didn’t realize I could change this by (a) getting a lamp and (b) getting something to put the lamp on. I happened to be realizing this when it was cyber Monday week or whatever and I ended up getting these on way sale. Once I got them, I instantly started hanging out in here more! (Could also be the hella cozy Christmas decorations...) We then got some throw pillows and Byron came home with this beautiful art piece he saved from an abandoned house about to be demolished. Now it’s 1 million percent cozier in here!!⁣ ⁣ Two things were blocking me from making this room what I wanted... ⁣ ⁣ First, I kinda forget that I am the boss of my own life. I keep trying to find people to ask for permission. Byron is someone I tend to ask and he’s like- why are you asking me this? Live your life?? Another person I ask is the imaginary jealousy amalgam of the good parts of everyone else’s life. I’m like- does this hold up to that? It’s an impossible standard so I’m trying to recognize it and forget it. ⁣ ⁣ The second thing holding me back is my guilt for not finding everything secondhand. I want to thrift things because I know that it is better for the environment. However, shopping is stressful so I usually go into it with a very specific item in mind. This doesn’t work for thrifting- you have to be more at the whim of the moment. So I tend to avoid that and then just not shop for what I want. I decided in this instance that a lamp would make me enjoy my space more and it was not worth the internal struggle of feeling guilty about thrifting. It’s an ongoing thing I’m working through! I have a long life ahead of me to get better at these things, I have to remember that.




No comments: